The Fiat 500 comes with numerous safety and security features.* One of these is called the Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS) that kicks in after an accident, helping occupants in an emergency. In the event of an accident where airbags are deployed, EARS will
- Cut off fuel to the engine
- Flash hazard lights as long as the battery has power or until the ignition key is turned off
- Turn on the interior lights, which remain on as long as the battery has power or until the ignition key is removed
- Unlock the doors automatically
*Read More: Fiat 500 Safety and Security Features
After this occurs, when the system is active, the message "Fuel Cutoff See Handbook" will be displayed on the instrument cluster. For safety, you will not be able to start the engine until the fuel cutoff is reset. Below is the procedure to reset the Fiat 500 fuel cutoff for your convenience:
Fiat 500 Fuel System Cutoff Reset Procedure
Important: First, carefully check the car for fuel leaks in the engine compartment and on the ground near the engine compartment and fuel tank before resetting the system and starting the engine!
• "Fuel Cutoff See Handbook" is displayed
• After an impact causing air bag deployment, the left and right turn signal lights,located in the instrument panel cluster, will both be blinking until the ignition is turned off.
• In order to move your vehicle to the side of the road you must follow the system reset procedure.
NOTE: If a reset procedure step is not completed within 45 seconds, then the turn signal lights will turn off and the reset procedure must be performed again in order to be successful.
|Customer Action||Customer Will See|
|1. Turn ignition OFF. (Turn Signal |
Switch must be placed in Neutral
|2. Turn ignition ON.||Left Turn Light is OFF. Right Turn Light |
|3. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON.||Right Turn Light is ON SOLID. Left Turn |
|4. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON.||Left Turn Light is ON SOLID. Right Turn |
|5. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON.||Right Turn Light is ON SOLID. Left Turn |
|6. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON||Left Turn Light is ON SOLID. Right Turn |
Light is ON SOLID.
|7. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch OFF. |
(Turn Signal Switch must be placed in
|Left Turn Light is OFF. Right Turn Light |
|8. Turn ignition OFF.||System is now reset and the engine |
may be started.
|9. Turn Hazard Flashers OFF (manually).|
Source: FCA LLC