Pricing of the new Fiat 124 Spider has been reported on Italian websites and show the Spider being competitively priced to similar equipped Miata models. Early reports in Europe indicate the more powerful Fiat offers stronger acceleration and flatter cornering than the Mazda. There is also an enhanced Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) package that makes the Spider quieter and feel more refined. The pricing reflects that.
The 124 Spider comes in two models, base and Lusso, plus the ultra-limited production Anniversary model.
Prices of the Fiat 124 Spider:
- 124 Spider: €27,500
- 124 Spider Lusso: €29,900
- 124 Spider Anniversary: €33,000
The 124 Spider Anniversary model celebrates the 50th anniversary of the original Spider that debuted in 1966. Only 124 examples will be made, and it's been reported that the model is already sold out well in advance of the car's showroom arrival. Fiat is lending buyers of the Anniversary model the use of a 500c Cabrio so they can enjoy open-top motoring while waiting for delivery of their vehicle.
In Italy, the Miata MX5 comes in three models, a base model called the "Evolve", the mid-range model "Exceed", and the higher end "Sport".
Prices of the Mazda Miata in Italy:
- Miata Evolve: €25,300
- Miata Exceed: €27,700
- Miata Sport: €29,950
As the Fiat is more European grand tourer and less lightweight Japanese speedster, there is no stripped down 124 Spider. The well equipped 124 Spider compares more to the mid and higher range Miata models, and the price is comparable.
How much in the U.S.?
Trying to figure out how this will relate to the prices we'll see in this country is not clear cut science. The 124 Spider in Europe comes with a 140 hp engine and only with a manual transmission while the US will get a 160 hp engine and the option of an automatic transmission. On the other hand, the marketplace dictates pricing, and even though the US has different equipment and option packages, it still needs to be competitive. Thus, we can infer the price will be as it is in Europe - comparable to slightly more due to the enhanced refinement
In the United States, Mazda offers the Miata in three trim levels, Sport, Club and Grand Touring.
Sport MSRP: $25,735*
Club MSRP: $29,420*
Grand Touring w/automatic trans MSRP: $32,090*
The 124 Spider is available in two levels, Classica and Lusso. There is also a special edition called the Prima Edizione similar to the Anniversary model available in Europe and also limited to 124 examples. The Prima Edizione is based on the Lusso model and has all available options. There is no price premium added for exclusivity, and the Prima Edizione is expected to sell out immediately, just as the Anniversary model has in Europe.
The 124 Classica has one option package available while the Lusso has two. Lusso's also only come with an automatic transmission.*
*4/28 Breaking News: It has been confirmed the Lusso will now be offered with a manual transmission!
Classica models are closest to the Miata Sport with 16-inch wheels, 6-speaker stereos and cloth interior. Estimates range from $26-27,500.
Fiat 124 Spider Classica standard equipment.
- 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo Engine with Six-Speed Manual Transmission Delivers 160 HP and 184 LB-FT of Torque
- Electric Power Steering System, Independent Front and Rear Suspension, Electronic Locking Differential, Electronic Stability Control+ and Traction Control
- Four-Wheel Disc Antilock Brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Engine Brake Assist
- Black Cloth Soft Top (Manual Operation)
- Halogen Daytime Running Lamps and LED Taillamps
- Power Exterior Mirrors with Body-Color Mirror Caps
- 16-Inch Painted Silver Aluminum Wheels and 195/50R16 Performance Tires
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Tire-Specific Display
- Dual Stainless Exhaust Tips
- FIAT® Radio 3.0 with AM/FM, Bluetooth® Connectivity, Six Speakers and Connections for a USB and MP3 Player
- Instrument Cluster with a Large Analog Tachometer, an Analog speedometer and a Driver Information Digital Display
- Keyless Go Start/Stop Push Button Ignition and Remote Keyless Entry
- Black Premium Cloth Seats and Soft Instrument Panel and Door Panel Inserts
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Shift Knob
The Lusso model with its luxurious appointments, leather interior and automatic transmission are anticipated coming in at $32- 34,500.*
Fiat 124 Spider Lusso model adds the following additional equipment.
- Six-Speed Automatic Transmission*
- 17-Inch Premium Aluminum Wheels Painted Silver and 205/45R17 Performance Tires
- Fog Lamps, Automatic Headlamps and Rain-Sensing Wipers
- Dual Chrome Finish Exhaust Tips
- Keyless Enter 'n Go™
- Stainless Steel Sill Scuff Plates
- FIAT® Connect 7.0 with 7-Inch Full-Color Touchscreen Display, an AM/FM Radio, Six Speakers, an SD Card Reader and a Multimedia Control Knob
- Full-Color Personalized Driver Information Digital Cluster Display
- Automatic Temperature Control (Dual-Zone Available)
- Heated Leather-Trimmed Seats (Black or Tan)
- ParkView® Rear Back Up Camera+ (Rear View Mirror)
These prices are just best guesstimates. Now let us know what you think on the Forum.
* includes $820 destination
Sources and Images: Mazda Italy, Mazda USA
FCA NV LLC, FCA US LLC