2016 Fiat 500X ENGINEERING
All-new 2016 Fiat 500X Engineered for Performance, Fuel Economy and Spirited Driving
- Fiat 500X delivers fuel economy and capability combined with performance and dynamic driving experience
- Choice of two four-cylinder engines, featuring innovative MultiAir technology, paired with nine-speed automatic transmission or six-speed manual transmission
- Available all-wheel drive with disconnecting rear axle reduces parasitic loss for improved efficiency
- Dynamic Selector system allows drivers to select the most suitable vehicle configuration for different driving conditions
- Precise electric power steering (EPS) improves handling and fuel economy
- Advanced engineering and high-strength steel deliver exceptional interior quietness and crashworthiness
As the first FIAT vehicle available with all-wheel drive, the Fiat 500X delivers performance, fuel economy and capability through thoughtfully engineered systems and components. With its advanced drive systems, available push-button and remote start, and exceptional handling and fuel economy, the Fiat 500X raises the bar in the small crossover segment.
The Fiat 500X is available with three powertrain combinations, all developed and specifically tailored for North American driving preferences.
Standard on the Pop model, the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo four-cylinder engine is paired with a six-speed manual transmission and generates 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque for a spirited driving experience.
The 2.4-liter Tigershark I-4 engine with MultiAir2 is paired with the segment’s first nine-speed automatic transmission, producing 180 horsepower and 175 lb.-ft. of torque. The nine-speed transmission enables the vehicle to optimize engine output and enable aggressive launches and smooth, efficient power delivery at highway speeds.
The Fiat 500X’s nine-speed gearbox provides a more responsive driving experience with quicker acceleration and smoother shifting. A unique set of four overdrive ratios improve highway fuel economy and reduce overall noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels.
The fully electronic nine-speed automatic features on-the-fly shift-map changing with Auto Stick manual shift capability. More than 20 individual shift maps for specific conditions optimize shift quality and shift points for improved fuel economy, performance and drivability.
For improved driving comfort and refinement, the transmission control strategy closely monitors temperature, speed and electronic stability control activation. The result is automatic shifting ideally attuned to the performance requirements of almost any driving demand.
The available all-wheel-drive system utilizes a disconnecting rear axle to improve efficiency by reducing parasitic loss when all-wheel drive is not needed.
Dynamic Selector system
The Fiat Dynamic Selector system offers three customized modes for optimal driving performance. The driver can select the most suitable vehicle configuration for different driving conditions:
- Auto: The basic mode calibrated for everyday driving and designed to ensure optimal fuel efficiency, low emissions and driving comfort. This is achieved with a smoother engine calibration, higher servo assistance on steering and a shift point optimized for low carbon dioxide emissions.
- Sport: The engine calibration converts for a sportier feel and is tuned for a faster driving response through electronic stability control and steering calibrations. With all-wheel drive, this mode optimizes the transmission for lateral dynamics.
- Traction +: A specifically calibrated mode maximizes low-speed traction with low friction and off-road surfaces by providing additional wheel slip through specially tuned chassis controls and a more direct engine response.
Engaging driving dynamics
The 2016 Fiat 500X features engaging driving dynamics with superior ride and handling. A tuned electric power steering (EPS) system provides enhanced handling and improved fuel efficiency, while superior torsional rigidity and NVH applications deliver an exceptionally quiet cabin.
An extensive use of high-strength steel reinforces the vehicle’s dynamics and crashworthiness, while optimizing weight for maximum fuel efficiency. The independent front MacPherson strut suspension features lightweight, optimally sized components for nimble dynamics and quiet performance. The isolated rear cradle provides a quieter and smoother ride.
The all-new 2016 Fiat 500X also features Koni frequency selective damping (FSD) front strut and rear shock absorbers to deliver improved road-holding and handling characteristics. In addition, the Koni FSD system actively filters out high-frequency suspension inputs from uneven road surfaces and adjusts for comfort and smoothness while maintaining excellent ride control.
Discuss on the Fiat 500X USA Forum
2016 Fiat 500X Full Specifications
2016 Fiat 500X Overview and Design
Fiat 500X Full Features and Options
Press Release courtesy of FCA Media