Pope Francis visit to the United States became even more special for Fiat enthusiasts by the pontiffs riding all over Washington D.C. in a Fiat 500L. A humble man, Pope Francis brings his message of love, understanding and forgiveness as well as his concern for the environment to the United States. He sets an example by riding in a 500L, a car from one of the global leaders in sustainability. For the sixth year in a row, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has been included in the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) World.
Only the best-in-class make it on the list, as evaluated by sustainability experts RobecoSAM. The performance of 33 Automobiles sector companies were examined, but only three were chosen. FCA received a score of 88/100 versus an overall average of 60/100 for other companies in the Automotive sector. It is an accomplishment that Fiat has made the list 6 years in a row.
While many car makers bombard the airwaves with how 'green' they are, few can match Fiat's record, yet you never hear Fiat bragging. The humility of the brand fits well with the humility of the man.
Here is a list of other environmental accolades Fiat has earned over the past year:
- Leadership in Europe for natural gas vehicles, with more than 55% market share in 2014
- Ram 1500 EcoDiesel awarded 2015 Green Truck of the Year and Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel named 2015 Green SUV of the Year
- Fiat 500e named Top Electric Vehicle by U.S. Northwest Automotive Press Association
- New Fiat Uno, Palio and new Fiorino received the Conpet Seal for energy efficiency in Brazil
- ENJOY car-sharing, launched by ENI in partnership with FCA, registered more than 325,000 subscribers and 3.9 million rentals in Italy since 2013
- Recognition of advanced safety technologies and performance for several FCA models, including the EURO NCAP 5 stars for the Jeep Renegade and Top Safety Pick+ for the Chrysler 200
- Further growth in R&D with €3.7 billion invested in 2014
- €2.3 billion invested to complete and upgrade FCA's most advanced and sustainable plants - Goiana (Brazil) and Melfi (Italy) - generating more than 5,000 new jobs
- 100% of Group industrial revenues generated by ISO 14001 certified plants and ISO 50001 certified plants accounted for 94% of total energy consumption
- Pomigliano plant won the prestigious Lean & Green Management Award 2014 and the Verrone plant the Automotive Lean Production Award 2015
- FCA won the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles Gold Award in the USA
- FCA's Árvore da Vida program in Brazil completed 10 years of activities and won the AEA Environmental Award in the Social Responsibility category
- Global Sustainable Mobility Partner for EXPO 2015, supporting the event and promoting respect for the planet's resources
Additionally, FCA devised the first ever APP designed to measure the user's awareness of how they consume water, one of the planet's most precious resources.
Phone and tablet APP here:
Sources: FCA Media, http://www.sustainability-indices.com/, CBS New York, ABC News
Images courtesy of FCA.