The Fiat 500 instrument cluster contains all the vital information needed and sits directly in front of the driver and not scattered around the dashboard. Fiat 500 Abarth Instrument Panel shown.
The stylized instrument cluster on the Fiat 500 is a favorite feature among Fiat owners. The attractive panel houses the speedometer, tachometer, and an Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) that contains an engine temperature and fuel gauge. There is also an ambient light sensor that automatically adjust panel lighting for changing light conditions and the cluster has provisions for up to 31 warning indicators.
- Cruise Indicator
- Seat Belt Indicator
- Charging Indicator
- Electric Power Steering Malfunction Indicator - Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- Rear Fog Lamp Indicator - with rear fog lamp in certain markets where required only
- Electronic Throttle Control Indicator - Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Tire Pressure Monitor Indicator - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)
- Automatic Transmission Malfunction Indicator - with optional automatic transmission only
- Change Oil Indicator
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
- Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator
- Turn Signal (Right and Left) Indicators (14 and 27)
- Brake Indicator - text only for the U.S. market, icon only for markets outside the U.S.
- Electronic Stability Control OFF Indicator - Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Electronic Stability Control Indicator - Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Antilock Brake System Indicator - Antilock Brake System (ABS)
- Ajar Indicator
- Security Indicator
- Wait-To-Start Indicator - with diesel engine only
- Rear Window Defrost Indicator
- Front Fog Lamp Indicator - with optional front fog lamps only
- Low Fuel Indicator
- High Beam Indicator
- Master Lighting Indicator
- Turn Signal
- Generic Failure Indicator
- Airbag Indicator
In addition to the analog speedometer and tachometer, a digital bar graph engine temperature gauge and fuel level gauge are also provided.
Engine Temperature Gauge
This eight segment bar graph indicates the engine coolant temperature. When you turn on the ignition, the first segment of the gauge always illuminates, even if the temperature is -40 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature is constantly monitored, and the Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator will illuminate when the upper segments on the bar graph are lit. Three fully illuminated temperature indicator bars equal 140° F (60° C)
The fuel level in the Fiat 500's 10.5 gallon gas tank is displayed by a gauge broken up into a nine segment bar graph. The low fuel indicator (about the one-sixteenth graduation on the bar graph) and a single warning chime tone is sounded whenever the fuel gauge receives a signal indicating the tank is: about 10 percent full or less and the vehicle speed is zero, or about 10 percent full or less for 60 consecutive seconds and the vehicle speed is greater than zero.
The low fuel indicator will remain lit until one of the following conditions occurs first: the fuel gauge receives a message that the fuel tank is greater than 13 percent full for 10 consecutive seconds and the car's speed is zero, or for 60 consecutive seconds and the speed is greater than zero, or the ignition is finally turned off. The warning chime will repeat during the same running period only if the low fuel indicator is cycled OFF and then ON.
The fuel gauge receives its input from the Body Control Module (BCM) which monitors the signal from the fuel tank sending unit. The BCM applies an algorithm that tells the gauge what to display and also compensates for the effect of sloshing fuel in the gas tank.
Cars with self leveling headlights have this icon that replaces the digital mph reading.
Fiat 500 models with automatic transmissions use the EVIC on the left. Manual transmission models use the EVIC on the right.
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
The Fiat 500's EVIC features a reconfigurable driver display and contains:
- Clock - An electronic digital clock within the EVIC electronic display can be configured for either a 24 hour display mode or a 12 hour display mode with AM and PM notations.
- Odometer - An electronic digital total odometer displays either kilometers (km) or miles (mi), depending upon the unit of measure required by the market for which the vehicle was originally manufactured for.
- Sport Mode Indicator - The word SPORT illuminates whenever the vehicle is being operated with the optional Sport mode.
- Electronic Message Display - The 14 character pseudo dot matrix display within the EVIC is used to display vehicle information to the driver. This includes audio system message displays, warnings and information from the trip computer.
- Digital Speedometer (5) - Except in vehicles equipped with headlamp leveling, the driver can choose to have an electronic digital speedometer display supplement the standard analog speedometer readings. Kilometers (km/h) or miles (MPH) may be chosen.
Headlamp Leveling Indicator (5) - Depending on what market the vehicle is being sold, this indicator replaces the digital speedometer found in vehicles manufactured for markets where headlamp leveling is required.
- Ice Indicator - A snowflake icon is illuminated whenever the outside ambient temperature indicates that ice could be present on the roadway.
- Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge
- Shift Indicator - In vehicles equipped with a manual transmission (except Abarth) a shift indicator text and arrow are illuminated each time a transmission upshift is indicated by the Powertrain Control Module. Fiat 500 Abarth models have this light built into the turbo boost gauge.
- Fuel Gauge
- Outside Ambient Temperature Display - The outside ambient temperature displayed is driver selectable from Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F).
- Reserve Fuel Indicator - In vehicles manufactured for certain Latin American markets where an on-board fuel reserve feature is required, the fuel icon and the text GASOLINA will be illuminated whenever the vehicle is being operated on the reserve fuel supply.
- Gear Selector Indicator - In vehicles equipped with an optional automatic transmission, the gear selector indicator displays the transmission range currently selected.
Information courtesy Fiat USA
Images: Fiat Press, Chrysler LLC, Author