Abarth has unveiled a special version of the Grande Punto Abarth. They call it the Grande Punto Abarth "Super Sport" and it has spectacular performance.
The standard Grande Punto Abarth 1.4 liter 16-valve has been pumped up, the suspension has been tweaked and lowered, new wheels and special lightweight leather racing seats really set the mood for this serious racer. Plus there's more! Below you can view the video from the world premier of the at the 79th Geneva International Motorshow and read more about this exciting car.
Abarth Grande Punto “Super Sport”
A special Abarth Grande Punto “Super Sport” is making the scene at Geneva, garbed in Airfield Gray paintwork – the same color sported by the Scorpion’s historic race cars, and, as the story has it, taken from the planes based next to the brand’s original headquarters – enlivened by a racing-inspired livery.
Equipped with a 16-valve 1.4 liter engine pumped up to deliver 180 horsepower, with a wrenching 270 Nm peak torque at speeds as low as 3000 revs, the Abarth Grande Punto “Super Sport” racing version hits a top speed of 215 km/h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 7.5 seconds. In addition, a variable back pressure dual-mode exhaust system enhances engine sound, producing a distinctive throaty roar over 4000 rpm. With performance features like these, there can be no doubt that this is a car whose whole heart and soul is in racing.
Performance also benefits from a number of changes that the “esseesse” kit makes in ride height and trim attitude, giving the car a more solid stance with firmer, shorter springs, 215/40 R18 tires and specially designed 7.5 J X 18 alloy wheels. The kit puts the car into a real sprinter’s crouch, dropping its roll center by 20 mm. Just as important, the brake system features cross-drilled discs all round, together with high-performance front brake pads.
On the inside, the show car boasts Sabelt Abarth Racing leather-upholstered seats – lightweight and track-approved, as befits the car’s sporting spirit – and the Abarth Blue&MeTM MAP satellite navigator with telemetry capabilities developed with Magneti Marelli. This innovative device provides four different functions. The first – Monitoring – displays the main in-car parameters (engine rpm, vehicle speed, engaged gear) acquired and transferred by the Blue&MeTM system to the PND Portable Navigation Device via Bluetooth.
The Track function, accessible if the driver is on one of the circuits stored on the device’s SD memory card, displays a set of additional information such as the car’s location on the track (provided by GPS) and lap times. The third function – Configuration – makes it possible to store telemetric data for a route and associate them with a personalized session identified by the driver’s name, circuit and date. Stored information can be easily retrieved and analyzed later with the fourth, Analysis, function.
Here are the specifications of the Abarth Grande Punto "SuperSport"
(Standard Grande Punto Abarth specs in parenthesis)
• 4 cylinders in line, 4 valves per cylinder, 1368 cm3
• Output: 180 HP (132 KW) at 5750 rpm (Power output: 155 bhp at 5500 rpm)
• Peak torque 270 Nm at 3000 rpm (206Nm at 5000rpm (230Nm @ 3000rpm in “sport” mode)
• Drive-by-wire electronic throttle control
• Garrett GT 1446 fixed-geometry turbocharger(Turbocharged by IHI RHF3-P10.5 fixed geometry turbocharger)
• Top speed: 215 km/h-134mph (Maximum speed : 208 km/h-129mph)
• 0-100 km/h acceleration: 7.5 seconds (0-100km/h (62mph) : 8.2 seconds)
• 0-1000 m acceleration: 28 seconds (
• Six-speed transmission
• Dual-cable shift control
Suspension and steering
• Front: MacPherson layout and stabilizer bar
• Rear: torsion beam axle
• Low ride height
• Electric power steering with Sport Boost mode
• Brembo M4x40 dual-piston fixed front caliper
• Cross-drilled ventilated front disc, 305 x 28 mm (Ventilated front discs ø 305 mm x 28 mm)
• Rear caliper with 54 mm diameter piston
• Cross-drilled rear disc, 264 x 11 mm
• "Airfield Gray" paintwork
• 7.5 x 18" aluminum alloy (Aluminum alloys, 7” x 17”)
• Tires: 215/40 R18 (Tires: 215/45-17)